So here are some reminders before you leave work early to go to a Christmas drink's party or 'bonenkai' (Japanese end of year drink's party):
- Look the part - architecture is about people as much as buildings - and you personally embody the image of your brand - do you like like an architect? At the recent Architect of the Year Event, I was struck by how the majority of architects had turned into anonymous business people.
- Carry a stack of business cards and hand them out - everyone forgets names
- Rehearse your elevator pitch - this is your quick introduction which effectively communicates your marketing message. For more guide-lines on what to say in your elevator pitch look at my website http://www.klmori.com/elevator-pitch.html
- Be positive and upbeat about your work - everyone prefers to do business with successful people
- Enjoy yourself - clients choose to work with people they like and who are fun to do business with
- Don't enjoy yourself too much (and don't tweet when you've had a few too many glasses of champagne)